Monday, 5 January 2009

2k8 / 2k9

I'm back to harsh reality (in which I have to work and live in a small southern city)... its welcome couldn't be any more violent: my bags didn't make it to Charlotte yesterday, and when they did, they delivered them earlier than I told them, so now they are at the concierge office that opens from 9 to 6 (or to say it in a different way, when I'm not home and I can't collect them).

I realized that I would never write the traditional last year review if I waited until my rage against American Airlines gave in. So here it is:

2008 turned out to be the most eventful, busiest and craziest year of my life (my life isn't eventful, busy or crazy so this recap will be seen as rather ordinary by many of you... well... if anyone reads it anyway):

- January: a new experimental position is created at my ex-employer and they somehow decide I was the man for the job. In the few years I've been working I learned that when your job description if diffuse, your objectives don't exist, and you are supposed to cost less instead of generate more, you have two choices:
  1. Run
  2. Hang in there, sneak into the first available open position
I opted for the second one, and lost two months seeing how things got more and more kafkian, which takes us to:

- March: I applied and interviewed for my current job. All the process was held in Mexico and I was told to wait a couple of weeks to get news. In this same month, I bought THE engagement ring.

-
April... this one is special
  • 19th: Board plane to Dubai (hey! there had to be something good about that role)... ATL-DXB... 14.5 hours...
  • 24th: I get the offer for my current job, in the US of A, location to be determined. I decide to negotiate it a bit (it worked).
  • 25th: I proposed!!!! This was by far the best day of the year... 4x4 ride on the dunes, camel ride, dinner in the middle of the desert and yes for an answer. It doesn't get much better than this
From Dubai Baby!!! (and engagement baby!!)

- May: I keep negotiating and accept the offer... it's official, Coller moving to the US. I turned 26.

- June: Wedding place hunting at full throtle (in Mexico you need to book at least 10 months in advance to get the right place at the right date). Visa arrangements start.

- July: I got my Visa (made a nice short trip to Monterrey to get it done faster), got the place to marry, and I receive my one way ticket to DC.

-
August: Can be summarized in one word: boot camp. While remembering how to study, I got to re-visit DC calmly (my previous 2 trips there were pretty short), meet a bunch of great guys who were also starting in the company. I attended the qualifying round of the Legg Mason Tennis classic.

- September:

  • US Open baby!!!!! Murray vs Melzer was the best match I saw(Murray went all the way to the final, beating Nadull in the process but losing it to Federer)
  • My location is defined: Charlotte, NC. Second financial center of the USA (Bank of America is based here and Wachovia was -and their new owners, Wells Fargo, are setting the East Coast HQ here).
  • I start renting an apartment in Uptown Charlotte (with appliances like fridge, microwave, washer and drier included) at a rate I'd get a small room with shared bathroom in cities like LA, NY or SF (I'm trying to stay positive about Charlotte).
- October: My fiance comes, we go shopping and semi-furnish the apartment.

- November: My fiance comes again and we go to Mexico for thanksgiving.

During these months I also get to see my first NBA match in a good while and my first NFL match ever. In early December I go to see both teams again :P

December: I completely unplugged myself for the last two weeks, went to Acapulco for Xmas and stayed in Mexico City to receive 2009. Ate an awful lot:
  • Quesadillas (from Etén, a street in Lindavista -actually the street where I lived- , you are highly encouraged to go)
  • Birria
  • Pozole
  • Flautas
  • Turkey
  • Apple salad
  • Seafood, tons of seafood!
  • Chilaquiles
  • Paella
  • Tacos
  • Quesadillas from Tres Marías
I somehow missed tacos al pastor though...

- 2009: American Airlines manages to lose my bags for the 3rd time in 6 trips. They deliver them one day later when I'm not home and leave them at an office that is open exactly when I'm not home.

But it will get better... I'll get married and bring my girl here... and I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than that :)

Other things:
  • Loved Juno, Nick and Norah's infinite playlist and Wall-E.
  • Read a lot of Kafka, Chejov and ... go ahead, crucify me, Harry Potter (first 3 books... stopped because my fiance didn't have the 4th one at home)
  • Traveled like a freaking idiot for the third straight year. Kept my gold status at Sky Team. Will lose it with the travel ban imposed by the company =(.
  • I'm sleepy I can't remember much more...

1 comment:

superior said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.